Sunday, August 26, 2012

Shelley & Adam Part One: "The Sun Must Have Been Happy"

When you visit the blogs and websites of most wedding photographers, you're likely to read words like, 'honour,' and 'privilege.'   You might even find it a little monotonous; the way photographers all seem to write about capturing 'once-in-a-lifetime moments' in photographs that their clients will cherish forever.  It can sound a bit 'cheesy.'

Well, get ready for more cheese, because my experience is no different.

I was truly honoured when our violin teacher, Shelley Brown, asked me to photograph her wedding, and as I sit here and reflect upon the time I spent with Shelley and Adam, I feel very fortunate indeed.  I witnessed beautiful moments in the lives of these two people, and the idea that my photos will now become a part of their family history is an honour.

Yes, Wedding Photography is a business, and it can be a highly stressful and challenging job, but at the end of the day, it's really about capturing moments of love that exist between people.  (Cheese alert...)  I'm in the business of documenting LOVE.

(There were so many photos to choose from, I decided to devote this first blog post to Shelley and Adam during our pre-wedding portrait session, and I will cover the bridal party, ceremony and family portraits in a later post.)

Last Saturday, I arrived at the wedding site about four hours prior to the ceremony so that the couple could have the majority of their portraits taken before guests arrived.

Shelley's parents' home is gorgeous, with woods, gardens, and a nearby field.  I began by taking some detail shots before the bride and groom arrived.









After Shelley was dressed, and before Adam had arrived, I had some time to photograph the beautiful bride.

One of the first very magical moments occurred during our bridal portrait session.  Shelley is a talented musician, and she wanted some portraits taken of her playing her violin.  We went outside into the back yard and Shelley started to play.  I'm not sure what piece it was that she chose, but the sound filled the forest and everyone within earshot seemed to stop in their tracks.  Even the trees seemed to be listening.  Shelley was connecting with the music, she was lost in the moment, and she took us all along with her.




As we walked further into the shaded forest, the sun peeked through the canopy at one moment to bathe Shelley in light.  This shot is my favourite and it happened so quickly that I couldn't adjust my white balance, but the look on Shelley's face is glorious.  My daughter, who is also a student of Shelley's, saw this photo and said,

"The sun must have been happy that Shelley was getting married."





Another unforgettable moment was 'The First Look.'  Shelley was hiding behind a tree in the forest when Adam arrived to see his bride for the first time in her wedding gown.  I'll never forget the look on Adam's face, the way he offered his hand to his bride, the excitement in Shelley's smile, and that first kiss....







 What a kiss!!  



We went on to take photos of Adam and Shelley alone and with their bridal party, and there were many unforgettable moments, but I wanted to highlight two examples of why I felt so honoured to be photographing them on their wedding day.  Now I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

















No comments:

Post a Comment