Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mothers' Day | Comox Valley Photographer

I was present at my nephew, Ben's, birth this past December.  Aside from the births of my own two daughters, it was one of the most remarkable experiences of my life.  I will always be indebted to my brother Kevin and his fiancee, Kristi, for involving me in their journey.

I haven't shared any of these images publicly before; they seemed too sacred for public consumption, but it feels right to select a few images to share this Mothers' Day.  (I've saved the most intimate photographs for family.)

I want to pay tribute to Kristi, who is celebrating her first Mothers' Day as a mom.  I knew from the way she treated my daughters that she would be an incredibly loving Mama.  She is.  Ben is a fortunate son.

I want to pay tribute to my sister Marnie who became a Mom before I did, and provides me with an endless supply of parenting guidance.

I want to pay tribute to my mother-in-law Joan who recently paid me the nicest compliment about my 'mothering.'  (You know what I'm talking about, Joan.)

I want to honour my own Mom, who continues to surprise and support and shower me and my daughters with her unending love.

I want to congratulate all of the beautiful Mamas whom I have had the privilege to photograph.

I want to thank all of my friends who are moms, for sharing themselves with me.  I am a part of a unique generation of women who SHARE openly; the good, the bad, and the ugly.  We don't try to be perfect; we all know that we're flawed, and I find that invaluable.

I want to recognize my girlfriend Allie who is ready to pop any moment.  (Stay tuned for her stunning maternity photos!)  May the strength of a hundred women be with you when you need it, Allie!

I want to honour any and every Mother reading this post!  And I want to do it with these photographs:
 Kristi's goal was to have a home birth, so she laboured at her mom's house on the Comox Peninsula.


After many hours of labour, a move to St. Joe's was required.  Kristi's boots parked in the corner of the birthing room.









and this was little Benjamin's perspective:



Happy Mothers' Day, You Beautiful Mothers!


No comments:

Post a Comment